Packing List

Planning for your Trip

Please note, as of Jan 23, 2007, air travellers to Canada require a passport to re-enter the United States.  As of 2009, all travellers to Canada by car now require a passport.


If you are planning a trip to Canada and have had any past DUI/DWI or other offense, even if you have crossed into Canada since, please be sure to check with Canadian Customs before your trip to ensure entry.

Canada Border Crossing Services:



Phone: 1-800-438-7020

Fax:  204-975-0394

Ontario Hunting/Fishing Outdoors Card: Beginning 2009, fishermen and hunters in Ontario are required to purchase an Ontario Hunting/Fishing Outdoors Card in addition to their hunting/fishing license.  The cost is $8.57, and the card is good for 3 years.  Please remember to bring your card with you each year or you will be required to purchase a new card.


Please purchase your 8-Day Conservation Licenses before arrival at any Service Ontario Center, Tourism Center (located immediately after crossing the border, Visa & MasterCard accepted), Candian Tire store, or D&R Sporting Goods at 485 Memorial Avenue, Thunder Bay (D&R accepts cash or debit card only). If you have any questions on where to purchase your licenses, please contact us and we will direct you to where you need to go.

You may also purchase ONLINE at Please call if you have any questions.

Boating Safety:  As of September 15, 2009, any person operating a boat in Ontario waters must have a Boaters Safety Card or Certificate from either Ontario or their home state of residence.  If you do not have one, you will be required to go through a Rental Boat Safety Checklist with your resort owner before operating a motor boat.  The Checklist should be kept on your person whenever operating the rental boat.

Packing List

  • groceries and beverages
  • fishing tackle
  • 2 fishing rods
  • fish finder – recommended (we do have a limited number of rentals)
  • rain gear and windbreaker
  • hat or cap
  • sunglasses
  • change of clothes
  • flashlight
  • first-aid kit
  • toilet articles (including toilet paper)
  • insect repellent
  • bedding (pillow, sheets, & blanket or sleeping bag)
  • camera
  • sunscreen
  • cooler
  • long underwear, gloves, rubber boots (for spring and fall trips)


Additional List for Hunters

  • your own tree stand for bear hunters & required safety harness
  • blaze orange clothing including a hat
  • required to bring proof of a current or expired hunting license from your home state of residence proving you have hunted with a firearm (Hunter’s Safety Certificates are now accepted)
  • helmets & insurance are required while driving ATVs
  • wrapping supplies (freezer bags, freezer paper, tape, etc.)
  • 2 large coolers (1 for meat and 1 for hide)
  • firearms (no hand guns are allowed in Canada).  Shotguns must have a plug.