Planning for your Trip

Please note, as of Jan 23, 2007, air travellers to Canada require a passport to re-enter the United States.  As of 2009, all travellers to Canada by car now require a passport.

The All-Canada Show will be accepting passport applications at the shows.  For a schedule & location check


If you are planning a trip to Canada and have had any past DUI/DWI or other offense, even if you have crossed into Canada since, please be sure to check with Canadian Customs before your trip to ensure entry.

Canada Border Crossing Services:



Phone: 1-800-438-7020

Fax:  204-975-0394

Ontario Hunting/Fishing Outdoors Card:  Beginning 2009, fishermen and hunters in Ontario are required to purchase an Ontario Hunting/Fishing Outdoors Card in addition to their hunting/fishing license.  The cost is $9.68, and the card is good for 3 years.  Please remember to bring your card with you each year or you will be required to puchase a new card.


With the 2012 commencement of Ontario's new Automated Licensing System, Holinshead Lake Outfitters will NO LONGER be able to sell fishing/hunting licences or Ontario Outdoor Cards. The new system is not supported by our radio phone. Please purchase your 8-Day Conservation Licenses before arrival at any Service Ontario Center, Tourism Center (located immediately after crossing the border, Visa & MasterCard accepted), Candian Tire store, A.J.'s Trading Post (on Hwy. 61 approx. 30 miles from the US/Canadian border.  A.J.'s accepts cash only), or D&R Sporting Goods at 485 Memorial Avenue, Thunder Bay (D&R accepts cash or debit card only). If you have any questions on where to purchase your licenses, please contact me and I will direct you to where you need to go.

You may also purchase ONLINE at Please call if you have any questions.

Boating Safety:  As of September 15, 2009, any person operating a boat in Ontario waters must have a Boaters Safety Card or Certificate from either Ontario or their home state of residence.  If you do not have one, you will be required to go through a Rental Boat Safety Checklist with your resort owner before operating a motor boat.  The Checklist should be kept on your person whenever operating the rental boat.

Packing List

  • groceries
  • fishing tackle
  • 2 fishing rods
  • fish finder - recommended (we do have a limited number of rentals)
  • rain gear and windbreaker
  • hat or cap
  • sunglasses
  • change of clothes
  • flashlight
  • first-aid kit
  • toilet articles (including toilet paper)
  • insect repellent
  • bedding (pillow, sheets, & blanket or sleeping bag)
  • camera
  • sunscreen
  • cooler
  • long underwear, gloves, rubber boots (for spring and fall trips)

Additional List for Hunters

  • your own tree stand for bear hunters & required safety harness
  • blaze orange clothing including a hat
  • required to bring proof of a current or expired hunting license from your home state of residence proving you have hunted with a firearm (Hunter's Safety Certificates are now accepted)
  • helmets & insurance are required while driving ATVs
  • firearms (no hand guns are allowed in Canada).  Shotguns must have a plug